TANGY ZING GREEN SMOOTHIE BOWL
recipe featured on: The Creative Athlete
This is one of those recipes born out of necessity. The days where you utter a big, “Oops” from the kitchen. and before you know it you’re thinking like lightning in order to make the creation happen anyways. Creativity was thrust upon me that morning. I opened my freezer door to find…
I’d forgotten to freeze more bananas.
A girl’s worst nightmare. (Just to offer full disclosure on why this is an issue: I’m completely addicted to the consistency that a good ol’ frozen banana gives my staple green smoothie in the morning .. toast just wasn’t a feasible breakfast alternative.)
Instead, I reluctantly decided to use frozen peaches as my fruit substitute. I knew these wouldn’t exactly replicate the creaminess of a frozen banana though, so I snagged one of my latest purchases – Kite Hill cultured almond yogurt – from the fridge, and spooned a majority of the container into my morning concoction.
Adding in this yogurt not only replicated the consistency of a frozen banana, but also gave me an unexpected tanginess. And ooh, was it a sweet surprise. I’ve got to say I’m completely obsessed with Kite Hill’s yogurt for several reasons:
- It’s like actual Greek Yogurt. Creamy AND tangy! None of that strange textural, blandness you typically settle for as a dairy-free-folk.
- The Plain flavor has a perfectly reasonable amount of sugar (5g) indicating it’s all taste and no additives.
- Gimme 6g of protein in a vegan yogurt and I’ll say, “Sign me up!”
In this version of the smoothie I’ve complimented the yogurt with an extra dash of cayenne pepper to rev up both your metabolism and your taste buds. After this, you’ll be satisfied and ready to power through anything else the day throws at you.
Have you tried Kite Hill almond milk yogurt? Share your smoothie re-creations by tagging #enchantedbysunlight and comment with your thoughts below!
TANGY ZING GREEN BOWL
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 scoop plant protein powder (I use Vega Sport vanilla plant protein)
- 1 cup frozen peaches
- 3 oz. of Kite Hill Plain Almond Milk yogurt (depending on how much “tang” you like)
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach leaves
- 1 tbsp creamy Almond butter || * or other nut butter of choice
- 1/2 tbsp ground Cinnamon
- a generous sprinkle of ground Ginger
- a dash of ground Cloves
- 2 hard shakes of Cayenne Pepper (depending on how much “zing” you are looking for)
- 4-5 ice cubes
- Place all ingredients into a blender
- Blend until a thick consistency (*If you find it’s too watery to eat with a spoon, add some more ice cubes. If it’s too frosty, add a splash more of almond milk.)
- Spoon into a bowl (*or glass)
- Top with an extra sprinkle of cinnamon, toasted nuts, or shaved coconut.