a recipe that's veggie festive.
There's nothing I love more than a plate full of veggies.
with the weather warming up and the atmosphere becoming more festive, I thought I'd load up some tacos with colorful, veggie fun.
I've been pretty determined about eating LESS sugar, which means making sure my own food + meals are thoughtful, cooked, and ready to go. Having veggies prepared (steamed, cooked, roasted) is one of my favorite hacks for avoiding bad food choices. That way, when hunger strikes I reach for things that are cooked and green, rather than buying food while I'm out and about, tiding myself over with caffeine, or indulging in that 3 o'clock sweet. We're only human! Things are easier when you're prepared.
I picked up a little pre-prepared moroccan cauliflower rice kit from Whole Foods the other night - you know, the kind where things come pre-portioned and cut; only requiring that you toss the ingredients into a skillet and add some heat. I was inspired to grab some Cassava Tortillas from Siete, which I haven't had on hand in forever, and make some tacos!
Sometimes, you just don't want to invest a lot of cooking or clean up time into your dinner, and pre-prepared kits can be great timesavers (and dirty dish savers!) To me, cauliflower rice is the perfect meat substitute for taco filling, and Siete's grain-free tortillas make this meal meatless + grain-free.
P.S. If you haven't tried this brand yet, it's a must!
The recipe is super easy to whip together on a weeknight and then pull you through the next few lunches or dinners as leftovers. I love when meals transition well into leftovers, and still taste just as delicious as the night you made them.
PLANT-FILLED CAULIFLOWER RICE TACOS
Serves 3; (2 tacos ea.)
MORACCAN CAULIFLOWER RICE:
- 3 cups riced cauliflower ( ~ 1 medium head of cauliflower, or ~ 2 small heads)
- 1/2 cup slivered carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped scallions (green onion)
- spice blend (to taste): ground cinnamon, turmeric, cumin, ginger, pepper
THE CAULIFLOWER FILLING: (makes 6+ tacos)
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to sauté pan over high-heat
- Once the oil + pan are hot, add in the cauliflower rice, scallions, and carrots. Toss and cook. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in the spice blend.
- Cook on high. Stir frequently, for 1-2 minutes. The cauliflower should be tender but slightly crunchy.
- Remove from heat.
PUT TOGETHER YOUR TACOS:
- Siete Cassava tortillas
Add 1 tbsp of water to your skillet
Heat on low
Warm one tortilla at a time until its edges begin to slightly curl. This softens the tortillas and makes them more pliable and willing to hold the filling of your taco. One side is enough - no need to flip it over.
- 1/2 tbsp Ithaca Cold Pressed Beet Hummus spread over the entirety of your tortilla
- A generous pinch of Eden Works' Mighty Microgreens
- Love Beets Sweet + Smoky Slivered Beets
- Moroccan Cauliflower Rice mixture
- 1/4 avocado diced
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Fold and enjoy.
I added haricot verts to my plate for some cooked greens. I just steamed organic frozen ones from Whole Foods over the stovetop for 5-7minutes! Wa-La!
Enjoy, enjoy. If you love these, comment below and let me know. Or hashtag #EatsByEnchanted so I can see your creations. Cheers to a summer filled with much deliciousness, less sugar, and more plants!